B.S., (mathematics) Bates College, 1964, with honors
M.S., (mathematics) Rutgers University, 1967
Ph.D., (mathematics) SUNY, Binghamton, 1970
Ph.D. Thesis Title: Cellular Mappings on Manifolds
During the beginning of my career I worked in the area of infinite dimensional topology. In recent years I have been interested in ways to improve mathematics instruction and student learning at all levels.
- “Handbook for elementary mathematics specialists” with Campbell, Inge, and Ellington, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Reston, VA, October 2013.
- “Modeling Based College Algebra at Virginia Commonwealth University” with Ellington, Partner Discipline Recommendations for Introductory College Mathematics and the Implications for College Algebra, MAA, 2011, 87-92.
- “The Impact of Assessing Introductory Mathematics Courses”, with Ellington. Assessment of Student Learning in College Mathematics, Madison (Ed. Tallahassee, Florida: Association for Institutional Research, 2007, 76-96.
- “The Role of Faculty from the Scientific Disciplines in the Preparation of Mathematics and Science Teachers” with Levitan. Beyond National Standards and Goals, National Science Foundation, 1993, 118-122.
- “Contractible Neighborhoods in the Group of Homeomorphisms of a Manifold”, Topology Proceedings 6(1982), Springer Verlag series, 311‑316.
- “The closure of the space of homeomorphisms on a manifold‑the piecewise linear case”, Fundamenta Mathematicae II (1979), 13‑19.
- “The closure of the space of homeomorphisms on a manifold,” Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., 195(1974), 401‑419.
- “A Characterization theorem for cellular mappings,” Bull. Amer. Math. Society, 76(1970), 1277‑1280.
- Member and Past President, Virginia Mathematics and Science Coalition, 1990-present.
- Chair of Mathematical Association of America Curriculum Renewal Across the First Two Years, 2004-2010.
- Mathematical Association of America, Faculty Professional Development Committee. Management Team for National Professional Development Program, 1999-2008.
- Mathematical Association of America, Committee on Undergraduate Program in Mathematics, member five person Steering Committee to develop Curriculum Guide: 2004, 1997-2003.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Excellence in Teaching Award, 2010.
- Leadership in Mathematics Education in Virginia Award, Virginia Council for Mathematics Supervision, 2008.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Excellence in Service Award, 1996.
- William Lowery Award for Excellence in Mathematics Teaching, Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1994.
- Outstanding Manager for 1992, Directorate for Education and Human Resources, National Science Foundation.
- Greater Richmond Council of Teachers of Mathematics Outstanding Educator, 1990.
- Phi Eta Sigma award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Tennessee, 1973.