Aimee Ellington, Ph.D.
Grace E. Harris Hall, 1015 Floyd Ave., room 4180
- Ph.D. in Mathematics Education, 2000 University of Tennessee
- M.S. in Mathematics, 1993, University of North Texas
- B.S. in Mathematics, 1991, Washington Adventist University
Ellington's research interests include studying the impact of Mathematics Specialists in elementary and middle school classrooms, using meta-analysis to analyze pedagogical practices in mathematics, analyzing the role technology plays in the mathematics classroom, and studying reform-based efforts in college algebra and calculus.
- Whitenack, J. W., Cavey, L. O. & Ellington, A. J. (2014). The role of framing in productive classroom discussions: A case for teacher learning. Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 33, 42-55.
- Campbell, P., Ellington, A., Haver, W. & Inge, V. (Eds.) (2013). The Mathematics Specialist Handbook. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Whitenack, J. W. & Ellington, A. J. (2013). Supporting middle school mathematics specialists’ work: A case for learning and changing teachers’ perspectives. The Mathematics Enthusiast, 10(3), 647-678.
- Ellington, A. J. (2012). The impact of calculators on student achievement in the K-12 mathematics classroom. International Handbook of Student Achievement. New York, NY: Routledge Publishers.
- Ellington, A. J., Whitenack, J. W., Inge, V., Murray, M., & Schneider, P. (2012). Assessing K-5 teacher leaders’ mathematical understanding: What have the test makers and the test takers learned? School Science and Mathematics, 112 (5), 310 – 324.
- Ellington, A. J., & Haver, W. E. (2011). Modeling-based college algebra at Virginia Commonwealth University. In S. L. Ganter & W. E. Haver (Eds.), MAA Reports: Partner Discipline Recommendations for Introductory College Mathematics and the Implications for College Algebra (pp. 87 – 92). Washington, DC: Mathematical Association of America.
- Ellington, A. J. & Whitenack, J. W. (2010, May). Fractions and the funky cookie. Teaching Children Mathematics, 532-539.
- Ellington, A. J. (2006). The effects of graphing calculators on student achievement and attitude levels in mathematics – A meta-analysis. School Science and Mathematics, 106 (1) 16-26.
- Ellington, A. J. (2005). A modeling-based college algebra course and its effect on student achievement. Primus, 15 (3), 193-214.
- Ellington, A. J. (2003). A meta-analysis of the effects of calculators on students in precollege mathematics classes. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 34 (5), 433-463.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Mathematical Association of America