Brent Cody, Ph.D.
Grace E. Harris Hall, 1015 Floyd Ave., room 4110
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, The City University of New York, Graduate Center, 2012 [Dissertation: “Some Results on Large Cardinals and the Continuum Function”; Adviser: Prof. Joel D. Hamkins]
- M.S. in Mathematics, University of Virginia, 2004
- B.S. in Mathematics, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2002
- B.S. in Physics, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2002
Cody's research is in the field of set theory and involves using forcing and large cardinals to prove that statements are independent of the usual axioms of mathematics. A lot of his work has been concerned with using the technique of forcing to arrange various behaviors of the continuum function to hold while preserving large cardinals.
- B. Cody, S. Friedman, R. Honzik, “Easton functions and supercompactness,” Fundamenta Mathematicae, 226 (3):, 279-296, 2014.
- B. Cody, M. Magidor, “On Supercompactness and the continuum function,” Annals of Pure and Applied Logic, 165 (2):620-630, 2014.
- B. Cody, “Easton’s Theorem in the presence of Woodin cardinals,” Archive for Mathematical Logic, 52 (5-6):569-591, 2013.
- B. Cody, A. Apter, “Consecutive singular cardinals and the continuum function,” Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, 54 (2):125-136, 2013.
- B. Cody, “The failure of GCH at a degree of supercompactness,” Mathematical Logic Quarterly,58 (1-2):83-94, 2012.
- Fall 2013-present – Visiting Assistant Professor, VCU Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics, Richmond, VA
- Spring 2013 – Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Prince Edward Island, PEI, Canada
- Fall 2012 – Postdoctoral Fellow, The Fields Institute, Toronto, Canada
- 2009-2012 Research Assistant, The City University of New York, Graduate Center, New York NY
- Association for Symbolic Logic (since 2008)
- Research Travel Grant from INFTY Network and the European Science Foundation, Spring 2013
- Referee for several peer-review journals including Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic, Fundamenta Mathematicae and Bulletin of the Polish
Academy of Sciences, 2013-2014
- Organizer of the Mid Atlantic Mathematical Logic Seminar (MAMLS), Spring 2012
- Organizer of the City University of New York Set Theory Seminar, Fall 2011
- Science Fellowship from the City University of New York, 2006-2008